Thursday, October 4, 2012

And Don lived to see the results!
Okay. Some experiments in socialization could possibly result in loss of life or limb. This was one of those kinds of experiments. The idea was to create an environment where the birds would eat socially.

When your time is limited you need to think creatively. I assumed I had enough bandages for my own hands and, even though I'm getting up in years, I thought that I could move fast enough to save anyone from any threat of aggression.

I took the cart that we use to prepare food and drilled holes into the arms to it attaching perches. I bought two, 2 ft long troughs and made a platform to raise them. Then the fun began. With 11 birds here at the sanctuary I have managed to get nine to eat at the troughs. And that in only a short period time, three days. They eat in rotation, either three or four at a time.

I have a video that I will be putting up in this blog from the first day of this new dining experience. The first day was hell on wheels and I have yet to edit it!

Left front, Peaches (salmon-crested cockatoo).
Left back, Simone (umbrella cockatoo)
Middle, Murri (Congo African grey)
Right, Coco (umbrella cockatoo)

It's an experience I wish all of you could enjoy!

www.chloesanctuary.org

No comments:

Post a Comment